View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The opportunity for profound impact must surely be higher among younger readers - when there is less competition (have read less), and have less direct experience. What seems profound when we are young may seem trite and clichéd when we are older, but the reaction to the book can remain strong because of its associations.
I agree with this and I'd add that I think there's an increased tendency to reread and reread favorites as a child. There are some books I nearly memorized as a child and I still largely retain them today, even as books I've read recently are evanescent.

I think the title The Great American Read was canny as it could be taken to imply either (or both) great books or loved books. The subtitle makes the call, though; it's loved books. Can't argue with love, although I'd personally temper my own choices of best-loved books with those that I felt held up or had much to offer as well.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote