View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #21
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm kinda with you there....I've taken a speed reading course (ages ago) and know the techniques, but feel like I'm missing something if I read that fast without taking time to savor and absorb it.

Now I fully expect objections to the above so go ahead.
No objections from me. :-)

I find I sub-vocalise on some books but not others - it depends on the nature of the book and what I want to get from it.

For technical books and most non-fiction I won't subvocalise, as the aim is usually to absorb what the book has to say as quickly and accurately as possible.

For much fiction, particularly well-written fiction, I will sub-vocalise. It does slow me down a bit, but it allows me to savour the language and immerse myself in the flow of the writing. For example, speed-reading Wodehouse would (IMHO, of course) be completely missing the point. The joy isn't in the plot (they're all mostly the same), it's in the language.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote