View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
For now, you can have a look at the Sony PRS-950, the Adam ink with Pixel Qi technology, the Kindle DXG and the Pocketbook 902 / 903. The Adam ink is new, so I can't tell you much about it, although it looks promising. The 950 seems like it has the functionality that you need (scrolling, annotation, search), but you'd have to view your PDFs in landscape mode. The Kindle DXG has a fantastic looking large screen, but is lacking in PDF functions (no annotation, no hyperlinks, dictionary, etc.) The Pocketbook devices, like the DX, have a 9.7 inch screen, but don't have a Pearl screen, but rather a vizplex e-ink screen, with slightly lower contrast than the DX.

As for any upcoming devices - I can't help you there, I wish I could. I'm a PHD student as well (I'm just finishing off my dissertation, though), and I would love a device for reading scientific papers; this was (part of) the reason I bought my 6-inch Sony reader, only 2 years ago; I do read PDFs on it, but it isn't always the most pleasant experience. I'd love to get a device just for my PDFs, but nothing on the market seems to fit my needs; I'll likely end up getting the Kindle DXG, and pray that Sony comes out with a 9.7 inch reader next year. It's gotten to the point where I figure I'm better off making do with what's on the market now, as I've been waiting for something to fit my needs for several years, and nothing has come up yet. The closest fit would have been the discontinued Irex DR1000; if I ever come across a used one selling for a decent price, I would love to pick to up.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote