Thread: Seriousness The Covid Vaccination Poll
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #347
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Well, I certainly couldn't have asked any more politely.
Yes, you were very polite. But you could have politely asked me to give you $10,000, and I wouldn't have done that either.

Quote:
Would more evidence have the potential to change your mind?
Yes, definitely! I would love to see some evidence. Thus far, you really haven't provided much. I do understand how you feel about the word. But that does not prove it is sexist in any way. You have provided some interesting information on word roots. And I acknowledged that. But what you did was take that word root and point out what it shares with other words, like "hysterectomy", which points toward a womb, which implies a woman. Then you have to make the leap that anything that implies a woman is sexist. I'm sorry, but while interesting, that is not enough to even indict the word, let alone convict it.

Quote:
I am by no means alone on this one.
Nor am I. What I am bothered by, is being accused, implied, or whatever you want to call it - of being sexist. Because I used a common word in a common context in an innocent way. A context so common and innocent that it appears in multiple dictionary examples illustrating how to use the word.

Yet, you are offended by that. Rather than roll over and grovel at your feet and agree to cancel the word "hysterical" from the English language, I asked you to show me how the word is sexist. There is nothing unreasonable about that request. I even said to quote my words and expand and embellish them using whatever additional words you wanted to add, to create an illustration of how the word is sexist. Not many people would be willing to open themselves up to the abuse that could lead to, but I was. Time will tell if I ever see a response to that.

Tell me, if I had said, "I watched the movie The Naked Gun last night. It was hysterical!" Would that have offended you? If not, why not?