View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #1261
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Asus Vivo Tab Smart (ME400C)

Intel Atom Z2760, 1,8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD (some websites state, it's eMMC), PowerVR SGX545, Win 8.

Why did I just buy such a low-powered gadget?
I want to have full blown Windows 8.
About 80% of the software I'm normally using on Windows machines isn't available for Windows RT.
I've tried the Sony Duo 11 Hybrid. Great Ultrabook, not-so-great tablet due to the more or less permanent noise of the fan.
So, for now, I've decided for an Atom processor. Low performance, but for most of my tasks it should be okay. And no fan noise!
I'll probably go for Surface Pro, but who knows about the release date in Germany? For once, I don't want to order from the US.
I'll post my experience with Vivo Tab Smart later on.
But first impressions in German Media Markt had been good enough. It's a bargain for € 499 and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

There are 5 (!!!) stickers on the back:
Windows 8
Intel Atom inside
Serial number
FCC conformity
Some strange symbol I can't identify.
Totally hate this.
You either can try to strip these stickers off and forever fight the remnants. Or you can watch them disintegrate, looking more and more filthy...

Very nice: There's no bloatware at all, just a live update app from Asus for firmware and drivers.

There's no USB port. Didn't pay attention to it when seeing it in Media Markt. No biggy for me as a "backup" tablet, but for a sole tablet it certainly could be a problem.
EDIT: There's a Micro USB port. Via adapter USB tech can be connected.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote