View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I have an HTC HD2 from Europe. I also have a nook. I downloaded the WM app and it works quite well. I logged into my B&N account without any problems.

It starts with the following tabs;

Library
It had my library list which can be sorted by recent, author, or title. There are links to download any of the books in my library.

Reading Now
This of course takes you directly to your current book and place within. It does not appear to sync with the nook. (This would be a killer feature)

Shop
This launches the web browser on my phone (opera) and takes me directly to the search screen of the mobile version of B&N's web site. It lists bestsellers, new releases, etc. I had to log in again to access my account. It is far better to surf the site on my phone than on the nook!

Settings
This area allows you to change the font size (6 settings available), line spacing (4 settings), margins (6 settings), page turn gestures (tap or swipe), and turn the animated page turn feature on or off.

The reader itself is pretty straight forward. I have long used mobipocket on a pocket pc and this app is just as usable. I do not see an option for changing the font. The reading screen defaults to full screen. If you tap the screen, a progress bar with current and total pages listed.

I loaded the free book If I were you by L. Ron Hubbard. There are hyperlinks to the glossary at the end of the book. One hiccup however, I cannot figure out how to get back to my previous place after linking to the glossary entry. There is a back button but it works like a web page and takes you to your previous activity instead of previous position in the book. I do not see any stand alone dictionary support.

On a lark, I added an epub book into the reader directory. I could not read it with the app. It did not sync with my account either. I know, too good to be expected.

I like the app, for casual use. I do not see it taking the place of mobipocket.

Pros
Access to my account and library.
Access to store.
Very readable on my 4" screen.
Nice adjustments for text size, margins.
Nice adjustments for turning pages. Tap or swipe and where these take place.

Cons
No dictionary support.
No syncing with the nook.
No additional fonts.
Navigation bug, cannot go back to previous position after hyper link jump.
No side loading of content.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote