View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
This is a hard question to answer because there is a ton of available material but what you want is really a curated collection and somebody has to do the curating. I can give you some ideas for specific titles based on my own reading but that will limit you to maybe a dozen titles...

- Cory Doctorow has two YA novels available for free under a Creative Commons license. Little Brother is pretty good; haven't read the other one yet. I think he even has some teaching resources for Little Brother.

- Orwell: 1984 and Animal Farm are freely available and I remember at least one of them being on the curriculum when I was in school. 1984 would be a great one to study along with Big Brother...

- John Scalzi has a freebie here that is very good and kids would enjoy it. Fun one for a free choice read.

- You might consider teaching a parent volunteer how to do some basic HTML formatting to save Wikipedia articles as proper ebooks kids could download and read on devices...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote