View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #35
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
If a publisher cannot charge anything, why would provide any goods?

Alternatively are you saying you would be happy with the sort of model that some music devices are supposed to be (or about to) support: a "flat fee" per month which gives you unlimited access to everything (that they've got the rights to make available)?
Publishers are just the third man between creator and public. It's not that they're needed by definition...

I'd rather say that I'd pay the author a certain amount for the access to his content, whatever the medium and for an unlimited number of personal copies.
I give an example:

I pay Tom Clancy 20€ for his latest novel. From now on, I've got access to that content.
After that, i pay 1 cent for the connection, 100€ for an hard disk, 1000€ for a computer and 600€ for an iLiad. And I download that book in the iLiad in mobipocket, without extra fees. But i don't like mobi so much, so I have also a pdf, an epub, an HTML and a txt copy. All of them without extra fees.
But I also want a paper book for my library: I pay for paper, ink, glue and printer's handwork and I've got another copy. Without having to pay again Tom, I already paid him for his work!
And, if I pay Daniel Craig to read it aloud for me (not cheap, I suppose), I find unfair if Tom Clancy claims money for Daniel's work also.

What I'm trying to say is that anybody have to be paid for his work. But once, and not with those funny laws that make legal to ask for money even afterlife...

But there are people, out there, with big guns and lots of bullets who make me pay more than I owe.
I'm sure they won't last long. Capitalism will survive to their corporate Bolshevism...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote