View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
I wasn't trying to pick on you (really really).
I didn't take it that way, don't worry.

Quote:
Oh wait. The Sony stuff is Windows only, and you're running on Linux, if I recall.
Yes, and I tried unsuccessfully to install Calibre (and ADE in a virtual machine), so right now I don't have any real ePUB reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
IInstead, try setting a 'line-height' of 1em and a 'height' of 1em. That should force the size of the block and line-box to be the same. That said, you probably don't want to set the font size to 400% -- that's 4x the font-size, but the default 'line-height' is probably more than 1.0. The only way to get consistent results is to set the default line-height to a value you control such as 1.2, then you can set the font-size in the drop-cap to something like 4.8em to force it to be 4 lines tall.
Silly me, I thought a line-height with no units would be a multiple of the current line-height, not just ems... Well, I don't care that much that the drop-cap is an exact number of lines (and I'm reluctant to specify a line-height for normal text, that should be set by the reader), I'm more worried about having unnecessary blank margins above (and especially below) the drop cap. Even if I specify "line-height: 1em; height: 1em", the box is larger that the letter... but I guess that's unavoidable, and depends on the exact font and character (a parenthesis or a Q or accented letter may extend above or below other usual letters).

So, we need to find a compromise. I think it could be enough to combine your suggestion with a negative top-margin, so I propose this:

Code:
span.drop {
  font-size: 400%;
  font-weight: bold;
  float: left;
  margin: -0.15em 0.125em 0 0;
  line-height: 1em;
  height: 1em;
}
For testing purposes, I'm uploaded the modified book (without illustrations, to reduce filesize), I'd be glad to see screenshots from Sony, ADE and Calibre...
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (1.21 MB, 611 views)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote