View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Einne View Post
Has anyone who generally uses a large font size tried one?

To me a big advantage of the Kobo Aura is the screen size, and while that may work well for some manga and PDF (perhaps in addition to the higher res), it seems to me it should also be useful for those using a larger font size (someone mentioned this in another thread although mostly theoretically). Unfortunately a lot of early reviews in external sites seem fairly useless, mostly concentrating on the higher res.

While I don't own an ebook reader myself, I have tried some before and it does seem that they don't work so well for large fonts since you get very few words per line which likely isn't ideal for reading, and you also get very few words per page meaning lots of page turns. Of course you always have fewer but a larger size seems it might work significantly better.

Unfortunately I have no idea if the Aura HD is ever going to be in a store here in NZ and even if it does come, I expect it to be a month or more (similar to the Glo) so I can't see this for myself baring perhaps testing it with a 7" tablet like the Nexus 7.

I'm mostly interested for my mum who can read normal font size fine but does prefer large print books when available. Since she's used to library books which are fairly variable in size even if not large print, the weight and larger size shouldn't be a big deal.

(I would personally like to have physical page turning buttons in addition to the touch screen, but it seems I'm SOL unless perhaps Sony brings some light here but that's likely a while away.)
1) is the largest font possible (using KOBO nickle)

2) is about 10% down the slide bar from the largest

3) is about 50% down the slide bar, and what I usually use.

S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130423_172703.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	104858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130423_172722.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	535.4 KB
ID:	104859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130423_172742.jpg