View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #49
Jesse83
Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I don't get the eyestrain comments.

In a poorly lit area, the PW light helps avoid eyestrain.

In a well lit area, the PW light on one of the lower settings is virtually invisible (i.e. it sure looks like its off even though it isn't).
Agreed, also I'm pretty sure that in a lit room, with the PW light turned off, you are actually straining your eyes, because it's basically a black on grey, not that readable.
Eyestrain doesn't solely equal to how much light you put in your eyes. But also how difficult it is for you to read/see something. Also eyes needs some sun's light every day to stay healthy. It's not an all no light, or an all light.
You don't need high settings, but just having enought light so that it's a good black on white, is better, you just feel it that the minute you turn the light off (aka lowest setting), you are straining your eyes. Then would you want the display to be even grayer than it already is ? certainly not. The darker the background (closer to the text color) the more you strain your eyes. Why do you think they make paper white ? Pun intended.

There is no sensible reason to have an entirely turned off light except for saving energy/battery life/LEDs life
If you are reading on your paperwhite with the light at 0 or 1/24 in any light condition I think you are doing something wrong.

edit, & sry for long post: it all have to do with the environmental light also, if you are in a lit room, your eyes are "warmed up" and if you try to read/see something dark (like a Kindle 4 display with no light) > eye strain (nothing you can really feel but its there, because the display gray)
if you are in a dark room, your eyes are "cooled off", and will not be favorable to a lot of light, so you can't go all "paperwhite", but you need enough light to be able to do the reading part (difficulty of reading > eyestrain)
You have to factor everything. And at the end of the day, black out everything, and you can just feel it if you are confortable. If you feel that something is wrong, that point out that there is some low level of eye strain.

Give this device to an eye doctor, you'll see what he is gonna tell you.

Last edited by Jesse83; 11-27-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Jesse83 is offline   Reply With Quote