Thread: Glo Bright Pixel(s)
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #34
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I'm always suspicious of 'me too' responses when it comes to issues. While there are always launch problems (see the Paperwhite), I always seem to see people deciding to jump on the bashing bandwagon to look like they're part of 'the majority'. I do suspect that some of the people who had bright spots on their screens were in two camps: people who got first batch units that shipped with flaws in the matte coating of the screen that caused the bright spots, and those who left the screen sticker on, or something similar, and who saw the dust under the sticker or screen protector and decided the whole unit was defective. Aka 'user error'.

Overall, the Glo seems to have fewer hardware issues than the Paperwhite. Now FIRMWARE problems, on the other hand... those are definitely real, and an ongoing issue that Kobo has to handle (which has been present since the original Kobo, IIRC). At least Kobo does their best to stay on top of those problems and release regular updates, unlike Amazon who updates maybe once a year (or to plug an opening used to jailbreak a Kindle).

Still, the Glo's a step forward in performance - the keyboard and menus don't lag the way the Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch did (which was why I originally went with a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle Touch), and the extra screen resolution helps with graphics. Now they just have to fix the firmware and the freezing and reboot issues people are reporting when navigating menus or loading books.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote