View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Young View Post
Since I bought a new reader, I have been using Calibre to convert all of my ebooks to ePub.

As part of this process, I have corrected or entered the metadata for author and author_sort using semicolons to separate the names of co-authors, for example: {Drake ; Flint} , {Evans ; Weber} (I leave off the first names of the authors, because it doesn't come out correctly on my reader. Or at least, I can't get the reader itself to sort and display the books the way I want.)
[...]
I can't really see a better solution for this since the ePub standard seems to want me to use semicolons to separate authors names, and the joliette standard wants me to not use semicolons at all.
Your system is certainly confusing calibre. It won't know you have multiple authors, and it won't know how to process them.

Calibre builds compliant OPF from author names, so you don't need to worry about adding semicolons. I suggest that you enter authors in a 'normal' way and let calibre worry about the making OPF files.

Of course, the question that then arises is 'what is normal'? Calibre supports authors in either 'first last' or 'last, first' format. If you pick 'last,first', then you need to set a 'tweak'. Look at preferences -> advanced -> tweaks tab to see the variable and the choices.

I see you have a Sony. The calibre Sony driver can be told to use author_sort instead of author when writing the Sony DB. This is useful if you use 'first last' order, because the authors will be in 'last, first' order on your Sony.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote