View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
Every time I read a story like this it makes me furious! DRM is evil and we should not support companies that still think it works as a deterrent against piracy.
But I like modern books. And I just refuse to read only old books because some new books might have DRM on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Remove the DRM from your existing books(if its legal) and convert to epub and move forward.
No, even remove it if it's not legal. You bought a book. And you should be allowed to use it. If you can't use it because of some stupid DRM scheme, either the publisher should allow you to download that same book, in a different format, or you should be able to de-DRM it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
DRMed mobi files will just become obsolete because of its exclusivity. (Except the Amazon format, of course)
Sadly yes. Because I really like the freedom Mobipocket gives me as reader (the application that is).

DRM in itself isn't evil. It's the current implementation of it. I don't just buy a book at this time, I buy a book in a specific format. So, if I get a reader that doesn't support that format, I can't read the book. Why not allow a reader to download that same book in a different format too (just like the multiformat books at Fictionwise)?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote