View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
tanglefast
Technophile
tanglefast has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: jetbook, ipod touch, asus 1000HE with eee-rotate
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
1.Because I like to keep my options open. And I think Sony and some of the others do that better than Jetbook. Not every ebook you can buy is available as a pirated copy. Especially books by lesser known authors. And I'm using my library for pbooks and like to be able to use it for ebooks too.

2.I think it doesn't matter which reader you use, most of us will use the computer to change formats sooner or later.

3.Jetbook isn't that cheap to buy in Canada. CDN$260.00 at newegg.ca and in side by side pictures I liked the look of eink better.

But I havn't decided yet which reader I will get. I'm waiting to see if Sony comes out with something new. Or maybe a new Astak mentor. I would like a search function on my reader, and a dictionary would be nice too since english is my second language. Also more font sizes than on the 505.

I will get an ebook reader though by Christmas come hell or high water.
i think that 260 CDN is pretty cheap. the prs 505 is 350 and the kindle isn't available conventionally.

you can wait for sony to come out with something but that will be months and then you'll have to wait for a cdn retailer to get it and it surely will be more than 350. also if following tradition, the new sony one will not have dictionary support, something that is important to you.

i believe it's better to get something close to great if it's your first device than wait ebook-less for 6 months hoping something better comes out. now if you already had an ebook reader to tide you over, waiting isn't so bad -- but this sounds like it would be your first purchase.

Last edited by tanglefast; 07-07-2009 at 01:37 AM.
tanglefast is offline   Reply With Quote