View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
One thing all three formats deal poorly with are my two "faked" ordered list items. The Art of War--or, at least, this translation of it--has two list items that are labelled "5, 6." and "13, 14." respectively. HTML has no support for such arbitrary numbering (i.e.: two numbers for the label of a single list item) of <LI> unless one uses an image (which, I imagine, is as wrong as it is inelegant a solution).
I'd suggest dropping the lists altogether and using CSS-tables instead.

Quote:
As inelegant as my "faked" list items are... thus far I have been only able to think of even more inelegant/stupid/manually-intensive solutions that I'd like to avoid (i.e.: give up using ordered lists, and use tables with invisible borders and manually entered numbers for the "list" labels).
Since the numbering is fixed already (you are not going to move the items up and down), the manual numbers in tables is not so bad, but cumbersome.

Quote:
The ePub would have been second-best, was it not for the fact that it literally lets some text run off the visible page, beyond the margins... for no valid reason that I can tell. (i.e.: it's not a PRE encased section)

It, unfortunately, also seems to have no concept of small capitals (or at least does not use them when an EM tag with a specific class attribute mandates that it do so).
This didn't happen for me, I guess you are seeing bugs/glitches of ADE and not limitations of the ePUB format. The lack of support for small caps is certainly and ADE thing.

In the toc.ncx files the titles seem wrong, for instance, one can see:

X. Terrain Sun Tzu said: We may…

shouldn't it be just "X. Terrain"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote