View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
On my Glo, after copying and renaming the font tester file to .kepub.epub, italics and oblique work for Avenir Next, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel. Switching to the .epub copy, the italics show as bold and oblique shows as normal text. Actually, using .epub, I haven't found a font that displays oblique without requiring an oblique variant. Personally, since all three of those fonts have diacritical support issues, I'm sticking with Charis SIL for now.

Avenir Next: The only macron character displayed is the OE ligature which displays without the macron, none of the breve characters display.

Gill Sans: same as Avenir Next though the boxes are blank rather than filled with a question mark.

Kobo Nickel: Aa, Ed, Ii, Oo, Uu show up with macrons, OEoe shows up but without the macron, Aa, Gg and Uu show up with breves. Best of the lot.

Charis SIL: All diacritical characters in the test set show up properly. All the fractions shows up. One of the ligatures are missing but then I haven't found any fonts with support for the fj ligature.

Regards,
David
Thanks for your reply David. Excuse my ignorance, but I think I am missing something. I thought by just by renaming a .epub book file to .kepub.epub and then sending this file to the Kobo it would magically display any Kobo Nickel italicised text as italics not bold. This is obviously a naievity on my part.

However your reference to font tester does imply that somehow it is possible to display italicised text correctly in .epub books on the Kobo, using the Kobo Nickel font. Or am I again wrong? If this is possible, can you please explain in detail how to do this, as Kobo Nickel is my favourite font.

Thank you
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote