View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just have a handful of generic collections: Current Reading, To Read, Read Previously, Current Technology, Technology. It is mostly to manage my reading workflow. Without these I would have a lot of trouble figuring out what I have read vs not read. I switch devices a lot. When I get a new book it goes right into To Read on whatever device downloads it. When I start a new book I take it out of To Read and put it in Current Reading. When I'm done, it goes in Read Previously.

I typically leave the device/app in Recent order, restricted to what is on the device. Most of the time my current reads are on the first screen, so no need to drill into collections to find anything.

I don't think sorting them into genres, specific authors, series etc. would be useful at all for me. IMO, it doesn't help in finding anything either (Search by part of the title or author is much faster, and you can use voice search on recent Fires and other tablets, smartphones). For the most part, reading is reading, and I don't have time or interest in classifying my Kindle library. That's what Goodreads is for. In fact Goodreads default shelves more or less mirror the way I use collections. If I wanted to classify, I'd do it there.

One could also use calibre for a similar purpose.

I understand a lot of people here would like to organize the heck out of their libraries (especially if they've managed to collect thousands of books), and are frustrated with Kindle platform's implementation. But it works quite well for my minimal requirements.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote