View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #311
cc_in_oh
Addict
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm reading The Expanse series. I saw the first three seasons of the TV adaptation and am waiting the 4th, but in the meantime, I'm reading (and loving!) the books. On the third, now "Abbadon's Gate".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...(novel_series)
The books are so good that I've been afraid to start watching the TV series, though I did post some minor quibbles with the latest book on another board:

Spoiler:
His (Duarte's) strategy did seem surprisingly risky. The neutron star gate looked like a trap but he didn't hesitate to spring it. For all he knew, it could have destroyed all the gates, not just 2 - actually very minimal damage for such a powerful trap. Even without the neutron star, he assumed his experiment would destroy whichever gate he used, that's why they were looking for a worthless gate. But why would he be confident that only that gate would be at risk?

The aliens exterminated the gate builders, possibly without even any deliberate provocation. Wouldn't it be logical to assume they would do the same to humans? Throw in the fact of his pseudo-immortality and it would make far more sense to consolidate his power before starting to poke the bear. But I don't suppose that would make for a very interesting story.

I'm on book 2 of the Rivers of London series and unimpressed so far, but others have said it gets better so I won't give up on it yet...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote