View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, no, it doesn't defeat the purpose at all. My purpose would be to try to ensure that a book I find palatable wins.
I can see this is an approach that is possibly encouraged by the "only vote if you intend to participate rule" - by holding off until you can see if a book you like might win, and only voting if you think your vote can carry it over, you get to obey the letter of the rule if not necessarily the spirit of it.

After seeing how things worked last month, I don't think you would be alone in doing this. But the more people that do it the riskier it becomes as the deadline approaches, with everyone sitting there hitting refreshing waiting to be the last to cast their (hopefully deciding) vote, and also trying to make sure they get in early enough for their vote to count.

What I find difficult is working out if I should vote for books I nominated. On a personal/selfish level this can be counter productive (I am here mostly in the hope of being exposed to new stuff but I have so far I have been nominating books I have already read because I know they are worth nominating); but why bother nominating them if I don't want to encourage others to read them? So far I've gone with voting for my nominations but sort of hoping that my other votes counts more.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote