View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thanks for the information. I'm still having a hard time deciding which reader or iPad to get. I already have a Sony PRS300 which I love for reading novels and typical eBooks. But I want a reader that will display PDFs that were originally in 8.5 inch x 11 inch format and are single column. These are government publications I need to read as part of my duties with the USCG Auxiliary. There are tons of these and I would spend a small fortune printing them out. I can read them on my desktop and my netbook, but the Sony is too small. I can convert some of them, but once again they usually become difficult to read or navigate when converted to ePub, plus I don't like having to take te time to convert them. The best solution for me would be a handheld device with at about a 9 inch screen capable of viewing the PDFs natively and in portrait view. I like to recline and read. There really doesn't seem to be any good options. I considered the Sony PRS900, but if its screen is as bad as the 600 I used to own, then I would not be happy with it. Besides, the 900 would have to be used in landscape and sony does a strange greying out of the middle of the page when in landscape mode--at least the 600 did.