View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #84
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I liked Pillars of the Earth. I have extremely mixed feelings about Gone With the Wind -- I loved it when I first read it, but it's incredibly racist.
So is Huck Finn, but in both cases it's a matter of historical accuracy.

Which leads me to a recommendation:
Yellow Crocus by Laila ibrahim and the sequel, Mustard Seed. There's a third book but I haven't read it yet. It's on my Kindle.

These tell just how bad it was to be black before and just at the end of the civil war, from the slaves' point of view. It's very well-written and historically accurate, which means it's disturbing.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote