View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I noticed Kobo has another edition by "Wishland Publishing" for $0.99, best guess is it's being sold based on it being public domain in Canada, the UK, etc. and is available to US customers by mistake.
Quite a mistake, considering this is probably the most famous book among those out of copyright almost everywhere except the US.

I just searched Kobo for a book I've been mildly wanting to read, The Late George Apley, by John P. Marquand (1893-1960). This novel won the Pulitizer Prize in 1937. And kobo.com has it as a free download with no warning that, AFAIK, it is under copyright in most of the English speaking world.

Peeking in (let's call it fair use), the ePub file appears to be an uncorrected scan, I suppose explaining the price. But if the whole is like the first page or two, it appears to me to have less errors than most uncorrected scans. And, a bit ironically, the author opens by warning you that it is a heavily epistolary novel whose characters write quickly and ungrammatically. So it's supposed to have errors

At best, all this shows lack of attention to detail on the part of Kobo employees. Although you could also say this post doesn't put yours truly in the best light either.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote