View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #55
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I think I'd much rather have RAM based storage rather than a dedicated hard-drive. I imagine it uses less power and produces less heat (and therefore fan activity). So is it possible to replace an existing hard-drive with RAM storage?

SSD is pretty close to RAM based storage. In fact, if you have say 8gb of ram, and consistently use 16gb of swap - with an SSD your far less likely with normal tasks to notice it. With a traditional HD your machine will drag heavily under those conditions. My work laptop is maxed with 16gb of RAM already and I have it backed by a 256gb SSD. I consistently use 64gb of RAM or more thanks to swap space and it runs without hiccups.

A good modern SSD with a modern OS will do wonders.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote