View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #50
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I got my Dell Venue 8 pro in the mail tonight. I can't speak to the full range of heat, but the area that heats up is in the lower right hand side (in portrait), which is probably the location of the chipset but it could be battery related heat (common when power is quickly charged or quickly discharged) too.

While playing a hulu video, it gets warm to the touch there. Forty minutes in, it's not actually hot, just warm. Far cooler than my first gen atom netbook (which had a fan while this is fanless) would have gotten also watching hulu. I'll have to get back to you on the temp during word processing and the like if you care about that, but I suspect it'll be near room temp.

Bay Trail is a lot hardier than previous atom generations, not just compared to prior generations, but compared to the gap between intel's high end and low end in previous gens. I might not recommend Skyrim, but from what I've read, it is more suitable for gaming than anything in this class has been before.
I imagine it's because movies like video games require a lot of cpu power to support the graphics involved. Though I'd guess that video games are more intensive in that way than movies since you don't interact with a movie file like you do with a video game. How much hard drive space does the tablet allow you to use? I found that after I'd formatted the netbook, put the os and some programs on I still have some 207 GB of free space though the drive itself (according to a sticker on it) has 250 GB's of space (only 220 GB's of that show as being there, but I figure part of it is also the restore and other files I won't need to access unless I do a system restore or other fix in the future). Still Scrivener doesn't take up much space so even if a tablet (running windows) doesn't have a large amount of Hard Drive space for use that wouldn't be a problem I'd guess. Still I am curious how much HDD space is available for use on the tablet.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote