View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #20
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'd go one further. I think games/interactive experiences have the ability to eradicate leisure reading within fifty years. We'll have 3D without glasses within 10 years (according to recent reports), how much longer until we have full immersion experiences? Why read a book when you can live the story? Book reading is going to look very quaint in the future
I'd have to disagree; the written wor(l)d allows you to build up your own internal world using the author's descriptions as a guide. That is why (I think) people are perennially disappointed with movie adaptations; they take away from your own imagination and impose the view of a director/casting crew (can you now think of Gandalf without picturing Ian McKellen? Exactly).

There will always be books and reading, I think, and it will always be a small subgroup of the total population who love to read. I've read some ancient Greek text where the author laments about how today's youth does not read and how the world is basically going to hell in a handbasket.

But at the same time I am not a snob about formats; a good story/shared experience is a good story/shared experience, whether it is in music, painting, sculpture, a play, a movie, the written word, VR, brainstem interface or whatever.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote