View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldespain View Post
Hi - one of my books just got a 3 star review on Amazon because the user said they didn't see any table of contents pages. Not cool - this is a solid 5 star book! : )

My usual practice when converting from PDF is to delete all the table of contents pages because they don't "go" anywhere - I rebuild the structure in Sigil in the TOC area, and then the reader can go to "table of contents" on their Kindle to see it all. Nice & interactive. However, when you download a preview of the book, the table of contents is not accessible because you don't have access to the entire book.

When I first started doing conversions, I had created all the links in the PDF and then exported to HTML, so I could keep a table of contents page & link out to chapters. I stopped doing this because it was tricky to get the right links and it was just another kink in the validation process. Just simpler to go without.

My question is (finally!): should I keep the table of contents in there just so people can see it on the preview? Links or no links? What's the best practice on this?

Thanks!
Lisa
Yeah, that certainly blows. First, I'd respond to the review (you can comment on reviews) and correct the author, and advise that there is an interactive TOC in the complete book, but that excerpts for all Amazon books exclude the TOC. Second, if memory serves, there used to be a place on Amazon where you could indicate if a book had an active TOC, but I don't remember where--it might be auto-generated, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
Lisa, do you upload an epub file to Kindle DTP? I've heard it's possible; I've never heard from anyone who's actually done it.
I convert epubs to .mobi via KindleGen, which is a command-line version of the Amazon DTP.

HTH,

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 08-31-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Fix the unattributed quote
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote