View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #24
Jedidiyah
Enthusiast
Jedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud ofJedidiyah has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle DX graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As of 08/10/2015 - Fixed for K2, DX, DXG if running YifanLu's firmware (FrankenKindle).
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263894

- - - -

I didn't do it, one of our dev. forum readers did and shared the "HowTo".
I.E: Any of the Series 2 devices can now rum the most recent Series 3 (3.4.2) firmware.
Which 'fixes' Amazon's Experimental Browser.

Note: Does not (at this time) include updating to Amazon's most recent e-book font -
but that might happen someday also.
Thanks again for your work on this. Hopefully "strong familiarity with UNIX shell" requirement will be relaxed, and "kindle may brick" sounds scary. But I may have to do it, now there is a new problem: clicking any link returns error 503 (no server available to handle this request) every other time, and often it takes 3-4 tries before it connects.

Just in case, I still have 2.5.8 on my DXG. The original thread only gives instructions for updating to 3.1, posters later in the thread report updates to 3.2.1 and piratebay's version of 3.2.1 "acknowledged though not necessarily blessed by Yifan", but I could not find instructions for doing it. What is the go to place for a "blessed" version? Also posters there mention that "on 3.2.1 battery drain on 3g is really dramatic" and "it's not the same on 2.5.8: the battery with 3G-on lasts as-advertised, which is about a week or so. 3.2.1 is what really kicks it". What happens with 3.4.2? Also, after all these updates will it still be compatible with Librerator?

Last edited by Jedidiyah; 08-15-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Jedidiyah is offline   Reply With Quote