View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #21
ems2017
ems2017 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
To jhowell,

I am a PC Kindle 1.17.xx user caught by surprise by the silent download of version 1.19.2. Of course I have just unchecked the automatic download.

I use (technical, not any other) eBooks just for personal research purposes; so, along with the eBooks themselves I keep a large collection of many other electronic documents, PDFs, WORDs, EXCELs ..., and a large collection of other formats, all them together.

Due to the sclerotic format of eBooks, as to be part of a dynamic corpus of interactive documentation, I need to convert any purchased eBook to WORD format, and interlink them with the rest of the information that I find and develop. Say, if one downloaded eBook has 300 pages, when I complete the reading, the initial eBook contents reaches up to another 300 pages including notes, calculations, graphics etc. all in one; I need all that info in just one volume.

All above means that any transformation of the current layout of my eBooks in my PC, and the rest of the materials, impacts me a lot, therefore perhaps the best solution for me would be to stop purchasing new eBooks and wait for Calibre to support the new Kindle for PC new format.

To follow the directions, you give to return to 1.17, as I understand, I must redownload from Amazon all my purchased books collection. Doing this could mean a hard time and I wonder whether this redownload could be avoided by saving (copying) ‘My Kindle content’ to other location and then copying it back to the original location after having reinstalled the version 1.17.

Alternatively, the other question is: would be expected for Calibre to support the new Kindle in a foreseeable future? If so, I would prefere to wait, and not to purchase any other eBook until then, and so long for Amazon.

Any additional help would be welcome.

EMS.

Last edited by ems2017; 02-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.
ems2017 is offline   Reply With Quote