View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Thanks, Booxtor. It's clearer to me now how the displays work. I thought the microcapsules actually rotated to bring their white or black sides to the top, rather than the particles moving inside them. But now I'm more confused about the stability of the image. Having all the negative black particles on one side of the microcapsule, and the positive white particles on the other side is energetically unstable; the like charges will repel each other and be attracted to the opposite charges. It seems to me that you would need to keep applying the external electric field at all times to keep the particles in position. Yet we know that this isn't true, that the display can keep an image while powered off. What keeps the charged particles in their place? Is the fluid really viscous (more like a gel)?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote