View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I really enjoyed it, but so far I seem to be in the minority. However, I knew what to expect. In college working on my lit degree, I took a semester of detective fiction. The Long Goodbye was new to me, but I have read a bunch of Chandler and noir fiction.

The things that I liked most were the insights into Chandler's mind and his thought on the act of writing. I wonder if these were serious musings or self-deprecating humor? (I am too lazy to research it.). I found myself bookmarking those passages where he ponders writers and writing.

Was this book ever serialized? Because each episode could easily have been a stand-alone

Sure, the women were flat and sketchy. In this book, they are just furniture, decorative and someplace to hang a few plot points. Nothing suggests they matter at all, which is typical of detective fiction from that period. Also notice that the corpses are just left and ignored. Again, merely a tool to move the plot along.

Overall, I liked it and devoured it in two days.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote