View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Tiny pens on miniscule keyboards?? You never installed a download (they are even free), you have a choice of dozens of wonderful keyboards with keys big enough for any finger. Some like TouchPal are extremely innovative (4 characters on one key) and much faster than the iphone's. And you can buy a device with a physical keyboard. Of course, we must be comparing devices of a size 3.5". Can't compare the on-screen keyboard of a 2.6" to an iphone's 3.5". I know the Axim is 3.5", and remember that came a full 5 years before the iphone! You can actually even have WM 6.5 on the Axim. Sorry for your syncing problems, I never had these. And as you can see from this post, some Iphone users with Windows suffer through the same (I never had any problems here, either).

Sure, WM has its problems. Fully agree with you. If you take one of the older phones (before HTC, Samsung and others installed their interfaces) could be torture. You had to tweak it to your needs first. It was a canvas, for you to work on. I wish upgrades where as easy as the iphones (if you don't jailbreak) and the interface can be clunky at times. But you can easily turn it into anything you like. Takes some tweaking, yes. A WM phone can be slow if you keep too many apps open -- but remember, you cannot keep any non-Apple apps open on an iphone.

WM is far from perfect. But it is still way ahead of the iphone in what you can do with it, if you are willing to invest some time in tweaking it. Of course, what the iphone can do may be enough for a lot of people, then it is a fine phone. For me, now with my second phone (a WM with a physical keyboard broke down 2 months ago and I am waiting for some new models) out of action, being exclusively on the iphone for 2 months on and off work it has been a never ending excercise in frustration. Instant messaging problems, contact management problems, waiting for apps to open and close (yes, if you multitask on the iphone it is a real snail), bluetooth limitations, no real control over it from my PC, you name it. So I was just ranting off.
I hardly got to install any third-party apps on the PDA, because ActiveSync hardly ever worked. But basically, I just wanted a PDA that could do calendar, notes, email, a little bit of surfing, reading, music and video. My Touch can do that right out of the box - whyever should I buy something that requires me to invest extra time in in order to get it to do what I want in the first place? Why shouldn't I expect the PDA to come with a decent interface? Having to install a third-party app to get a decent keybord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And just FYI, my definition of an iphone fanboy is not somebody who likes his iphone. It is someone who goes into a discussion of a new WM or Symbian phone and says "it doesn't have a capacitive screen like my iphone" or "it doesn't scroll as smoothly as the iphone" or something. Or who claims that the iphone's technology is years ahead of the competition.
I haven't seen any Mac fanboys in this thread, but you ranted off as if anyone who dared to say that a Mac can be a positive experience was stupid fanboys. Honestly, you sounded like a Microsoft fanboy as per your own definition. As you know, fanboys can be quite annoying
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote