View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Malder1
Connoisseur
Malder1 began at the beginning.

From iLiad to LBook V3: Infinite battery life

I have got iLiad since October 2006. It's great, but even with recently replaced battery it doesn't work more than 12 hours and I don't like long turning on/off.

So I decided to change it and in a shop of my city I've found LBook V3 (e-ink too). It's manufactured in Ukraine and based on Jinke (China).

Since next day after purchasing of LBook V3 I had a two week's travel to Great Britain and found the next moments with using of LBook in comparisson with iLiad:

Plus:
+ I *never* turned off LBook. It was always *enabled* during two weeks and it battery still shows 50%. I've read two 600 pages books. People say that LBook usually works 3-4 weeks. So needn't to take a power charger to a travel.

+ Although screen is only 6", it has more better contrast then my iLiad. I'm guessing that my old iLiad had a better contrast after purchasing, but now LBook in two times better.

+ LBook (without cover) weights in two times less (220 g. vs 440 of ILiad).

+ LBook V3 directly supports FB2/RTF formats and I can change font size on the fly and LBook remembers my settings. Also I can install own font (I like Georgia).

+ Font rendering MUCH BETTER on LBook. Text looks crisp, not blurred as on iLiad (On iLiad I even used my own text rendering to images in PDF for better reading.)

+ It quickly works.

+ It possible to easily replace a battery (usual for some Nokia mobile phone).

+ 512 MB built-in memory + SD card.

+ Enough cheap, same price as for Sony Reader 505

+ Supports embedded folders for books (Sony can't).

I found only one serious problem. SD card reader in LBook had damaged pin contact and SD card didn't work, so because I had to go the travel, I opened a case of LBook and corrected the SD pin contact in LBook. I have no warranty more. In the forums I found several reports about similar problem from other users.

Other minuses:
- No touch screen,
- No Wi-Fi
- No Ethernet.
- I've bought LBook V3 in Russia, so I'm doubt that you can find it in Europe.
- Need to install latest firmware (downloaded from website) to support own fonts for FB2/RTF and better text rendering.

All connections via usual mini-USB (including power charging)

Anyway I will use only lBook V3 now instead iLiad, because it looks more like book, because no need to turn it off.

It sadly that iLiad had so strange hardware that it can't be suspended betwen turning of pages. So it's not very plesant to travel with iLiad.

I didn't try Sony Reader 505, maybe it also can work during weeks.

Last edited by Malder1; 06-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Malder1 is offline   Reply With Quote