View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #80
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I still stand on my reasoning that KFX is not needed and that all of this can still be done with KF8 without the need to change KF8. It can all be done with the renderer for KF8. It's just a matter of how KF8 is interpreted. Most Kindle eBooks start like as ePub. They then get converted to Mobi, KF8, and KFX. Some piece of software has to do the conversion from the source ePub to get these files. There's no reason the renderer for KF8 deliver the KFX experience. The KF8 renderer could be customized for each screen resolution and KFX would not need to exist.
That it has been done in epub proves it can be done. However, according to DiapDealer's comments, the epub implementation "will render differently (from subtle to drastic) in every app and on every device." KFX, on the other hand, gives a very similar rendering across all Amazon devices and apps which support it. As I understand it to achieve this in kf8 would not be trivial and may require changes to the format and/or the renderer on each device. Or failing this, customised kf8 files for each book/device combination. I very much doubt it would be impossible, but it does seem likely that Amazon chose kfx for good technical reasons, perhaps that achieving what they wanted was much easier technically and more efficient with kfx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Customer needs...Where is the margin setting? Where is the light height setting? Where are the user installable fonts? There are things that have been on a lot of people's wish list for a long time. Amazon knows these features are wanted for the Kindle and yet they do nothing.
But apparently "a lot of people" is in fact a very small minority. The vast majority are apparently quite happy with the controls they do have. And Amazon, as I posted earlier, seems to be very reluctant to add any features which add complexity to the gui, for good and valid reasons.

I too would like Amazon to have stuck with kf8. But unfortunately I am in a small minority that Amazon is not prepared to cater to in this regard. You are too. You have chosen to go to Kobo. I have stuck with Amazon. I love my H2O but find I'm using it with declining frequency. My First Generation Oasis does not give the same level of control as the H2O, but does give sufficient control now further bold font options have been added. I must say that it does give a very good reading experience. Others of course are much more fussy.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote