View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'll take your word for it.
But today, being curious, I asked several different people to look at my e-reader, people who normally don't use it, and none could see any ghosting or flashing. I guess we're just lucky, huh? But at the same time, ghosting was VERY obvious to me when I picked up both the Kobos in the shop. So much so that I quickly decided against them. The price was good. The size and weight was great. But I didn't like what I saw on the screen. I liked the Kindles and Sonys better. They didn't show me any ghosting or flashing. Sorry... maybe I just go used to it too quickly? Like before the first page?

Stitchawl
For the Kindle4 NT model, one of the software updates (4.01??) allowed setting the page refresh to be set for 1 or 6 pages. The white/black/white cycle on each page turn though somewhat annoying did remove the ghosting that customers were complaining about.

One other customer had this to say about the Kindle Touch "I am on my second Kindle Touch. It has not been the positive experience I was expecting. On the first Kindle, the ghosting was so bad I could see the previous two pages in the background. I called CS and the lady who helped me did her best to solve the situation to NO avail. I asked if a new device could be sent to me. She agreed. My second Kindle works somewhat better. It's sometimes hard to get to the following page and in some cases is very difficult to use the content page without opening the wrong book. I regret having sold my Kindle 3".

As for Sony, one reviewer had this to say about the PRS-T2: "Whenever you access the menu drawer at the bottom of the screen, dusty, ghost-like artifacts are left behind when you return to the book. All e-ink readers suffer from some artifacting, but you usually see things clean up whenever the next page turn happens. In many cases during my testing, however, these menu and navigation artifacts stuck around for a couple of page turns. On a device explicitly designed to foster concentration, it’s a big distraction. It’s also something that shouldn’t happen on a current-generation Pearl E-Ink screen."

All devices that use current eInk screens suffer from ghosting though the level of ghosting varies and will need to refresh the screen at some point to clean it up.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote