View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #66
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Normal = generally acceptable to both parties involved... as to what they should be based on... that's what the courts are for if you can't make your mind up or come to an agreement... and why change the terms of the discussion... Harry Potter books are hardly out of copyright so why should anyone scanning them be allowed without the author's permission...

Similarly for the rest of your "examples," your earlier comment was on how to deal with "accidental" downloads of still copyrighted material and mistakes concerning whether material was still copyrighted whereas your examples seem to deal with items clearly in copyright, straightforward illegal copying and rights ownership... items which current civil and contractual law is fully capable of handling...

And why ignore my last point, "By all means sort out and overhaul copyright law but what's the necessity to turn civil claims into criminal penalties..." which was the primary response to your expression of a need for more governmental interference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That'd be fine if there were any "normal commercial royalty rates."

What's the royalty on a book that's never been marketed as an ebook? (What's the cost for an epub version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Should it be based on hardcover price, trade paperback, cheapest mmpb cost, or something else?)

How about a limited-print run book from a now-deceased author? (Used copies of Chumbley's Azoetia sell for about $1000 on ebay.)

And are they paid to the author (or heirs) or the publisher? (I'm not sure "royalty" is the right word, when it's "full cost of the book"--or does the publisher get cut out of this equation?)

If the publisher's gone, to whom are they paid? (I have The Unity Trilogy by Meisha Merlin... if I scan & convert it to an ebook, do I owe them, or the new publishers who owns the ebook rights?)
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote