View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 AM   #31
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
mgmueller,

I never thought you were such an advocate for the QUE! Thanks for making the correction about profit, although guided by your calculations I still think Jobs is making a lot of cash out of the iPad, especially the higher end models ($346 to build, $829 retail price). So the gross profit for the most expensive model would be around 58% right? Since you seem to dig these kind of data here's a reliable source of information: http://www.isuppli.com/News/Pages/Mi...Estimates.aspx

I have to disagree with the opinion that the price of the QUE is justifiable. Perhaps two months ago it made sense when the Kindle DX was the only option around, as it is indeed the market that set prices, but not now when you have soooo many competing products that have similar features and cost way less (Notion Ink Adam, Asus DR-950, Jinke A9, Samsung E101, Entourage Edge, and of course, the mighty iPad, just to name a few). Perhaps I am plain ignorant or I just value too much my money but paying $800 for a QUE is simply unreasonable (unless it has a hidden feature that brings me breakfast to bed Even when the Asus DR-950 has less features, when priced at $350 it sounds far more appealing to me, but then again, I am probably not the target market for PL.

Moreover with the iPad offering many business related apps including iWork (and rumors that there will also be a MS office version) plus as you mention all the extra content that can be acquired though the apple store I very much doubt the black and white, slow refresh, $800 QUE will be able to survive the competing market once it is finally released. Now don't get me wrong, I think the QUE reader is a fantastic piece of hardware, it is simply not justified in terms of price relative to the competition, especially if you do an objective cost/benefit analysis. Lastly, they say that it is targeted at business people, however even when the more I see the QUE's extra large screen and thin design the more I like it, this feeling evaporates as soon as I watch a video (this is a good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok9TM74VatE of the refresh rates. I wonder if a businessman is willing to wait for the screen to refresh as it is required by these devices for every single action you perform (opening the calendar, highlighting text, zooming, etc). If the iPad experience is as smooth as the iPhone's I think Apple will give PL a hard time getting any demand for their product.

Like I said Jobs just sent all these greedy companies a strong message and the only ones that benefit are the buyers

Last edited by Estuche; 02-26-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote