View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #23
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Sorry but I really disagree.
You disagree that a right-click that showed the state of the set semantics and allowed you to set them is easier than the current version? Really? Yes, I know that we can't have that anymore because of the number of options, but what possible reason is there for not showing the currently set one in the dialog to start with.

Quote:
If you want to see if any of multiple files have semantics set, you can simply look at the content.opf (as Doitsu so nicely demonstrated) or the Nav in epub3, or use the Reports feature in either epub2 or 3.
These choices really aren't easy, in any sense of the word. The first requires scrolling to the end of the file list box, opening "content.opf", scrolling to the end of the file, then scrolling back in the file list, opening the file in the first "<reference>" tag to see if it matches the "type" attribute for that tag, then repeat for each entry.

The second is at least somewhat better because all the files are clickable links, but the list only shows about 70 files on my 1200-pixel high monitor, and I have dozens (hundreds?) of epubs with more than 70 files. So, there is no easy way to see all the set semantics. OK, so sorting by "Semantics" will group them together, so then I go set what I want, click "Refresh", and WHAM, the sort is reset and I need to re-sort, then scroll to the bottom of the list (because all the files with "empty" semantics sort first right after a refresh).

You can disagree all you want, but even without my courses in Computer/Human Interaction, I'd know that neither one of those choices is anywhere near as easy as they could be.

Last, if you set semantics on a file that you later decide you don't want to have any, you have to manually edit ""content.opf", because there is no way to remove a semantic like there was before (click on the currently-checked item). There needs to be some sort of "unset" item (like maybe "(none)", so it sorts first) in the dialog box.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote