View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #749
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A few days ago, I passed my 2012 reading challenge goal of 13,000 pages for the year! Time to party!

I had broken my challenge into easier to count chunks of 50 sections at 260 pages each (which adds up to 13,000), hence my signature's "50/50" completed.

It was a long and challenging trip, but it's not over yet! That was only one part of my challenge. I also have a 2012 TBR of "around" 50 books, and that's turning out to be more challenging. I have three sections to it - a pre-chosen TBR, book club books and then a third section for any extra books I read during the year. It was supposed to by synergistic with my page count goal of 13,000, but overall the books ended up being longer than expected.

The pre-chosen TBR is almost done. I've read 12 out of 13. The only one left is Ulysses, so I've saved the hardest for last, but at least it's not the longest (although, I had also put off the longest ones too - Anna Karenina and The Wise Man's Fear - and only just read them recently). I'm pretty confident though that I will finish this part of the goal too.

The book club books is the challenge. I've read 18 out of 24 and have six to finish reading. I don't know if I can manage that by the end of December but I'll try!

The extra section didn't have a specific goal, so that one's good to go. Since the other two sections add up to 37, the goal for this section was supposed to be "around" 13 to equal 50 books total, but I knew it probably wouldn't be exact and this section was meant to balance out page counts to keep the TBR in synergy with the page count goal. But the other books ended up being much longer than expected. I've read eight books and three short stories for this section, a good deal less than 13 books, and still my TBR list is going to come in at well over 13,000 pages.

I've looked at the probable page counts of the unread books and it's looking like I still have 3,000 or so pages to read to complete everything (depending on the length of the as-of-yet undetermined December book club books), so around 16,000 pages for the year actually if I make it.

Heh, that seems about impossible for a month, especially with holidays and all. But I'm not giving up! Just maybe I'll make it. Never give up until the fat lady sings, and she's not scheduled to perform until midnight December 31st.

I do know this though: for next year's challenge, you can be well sure I'm finding out probable page counts for my TBR list beforehand.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote