View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I feel increasingly comfortable calling it trolling since the one company that didn't fold and fought the claims -- B&N -- got MS to give THEM money.
... for a portion of the Nook business, an agreement to develop software for Window 8 and Windows Phone, and an agreement to use Microsoft backend billing services, and in return B&N agreed to pay Microsoft's patent licencing fees in the future. (Of course we don't know what level those fees were negotiated to, they could be minimal.)

Edit: The Patent Agreement is here: http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/1204...K/ex10-3.htm#b
But is subject to so much redaction as to provide very little information, these lines being great examples:
Quote:
“[***] Functionality” means functionality that (i) associates [***] displays [***] or (ii) [***] and displays [***].
“[***] Functionality” means (i) a [***] system with one or more [***] that are able to [***]; (ii) software that [***]; or (iii) any combination of (i) and (ii), or portions thereof, wherein the primary function of the foregoing (i), (ii) or (iii) is to [***].
The commercial agreement is here: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...191/ex10-2.htm
Interestingly, it requires B&N to push the Nook out into further geographies, which they haven't managed at all so far.

Last edited by murraypaul; 06-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote