View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre95060 View Post
Well, like, it doesn't do everything I want it to do. I would like the ability to pan and zoom an image. A map of Europe rendered to 5"x3.5" is useless to me. I spend a fortune every year with Amazon and I can't imagine that they give a damn what I do with my Kindle as long as I don't hack the DRM or try to defraud them in any way--which I certainly have no intention of doing. If someone built some software to improve the Kindle, where's the harm? Igor did a lot more hacking of the Kindle that I ever will. I just want to be able to see the pictures.

By the way, I did register my complaint with Amazon and I got no reply.

Dave E
The problem is that the Kindle's eBook format AZW is just a slightly modified Mobipocket format. And thus you have the issue of old technology developed for screen of a small size such as PDA and cell phones. So images tend to be small when dealing with a 6" eink screen. I was looking at Winston Churchill's books on WWII and found the images to be way too tiny to be of any use.

What really needs to be done is for Mobipocket to come out with a new version of their reader that is written fresh from the start. The way it's written, it has a host of bugs that cannot be fixed unless what we have now is scrapped and started over. This would also give them a chance to fix the image issues and make sure that any new eBooks have large enough images. Can you imagine that map of Europe on a 9.7" eink screen, how even more unreadable it will be? Most of the bugs/flaws are due to a 64k block limit when going forward/backward in the eBooks. Thus, they have to limit the physical size of the images otherwise it breaks this block size. They break the eBooks up into 64k blocks supposedly for speed. But what good is speed if it causes too many issues. If they did away with that, they could have larger images and working page numbers among other fixes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote