View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am busy at work at the moment. I enjoyed the book, but I am not 'head over heels' about it. Here is what I wrote on GoodReads after I finished it, since I don't have time now to post new thoughts:

I had fun reading this book. The author does a very good job at keeping the reader's attention, with the right plot twists and surprises lurking around the corner. Yet, there are some elements of the book I disliked.

For example - the way the plot keeps coming back to the main character's lack of money. He's poor. He can't afford school. I get it. The first time. Really, I appreciate the way the author tries to build a 'realistic' fantasy world. But if I wanted to think about tuition problems, I would not be reading a fantasy book...

Or his petty conflicts with another student. Just doesn't seem to sit well with the rest of the book. The main character is presented as hard-driven, very motivated - but then he keeps returning to petty squabbles with his a fellow schoolmate...

On the other side, I found the main character to be well developed, 'three-dimensional'. I don't agree with many other commentators who seem to see him as excessively arrogant and unlikable.

Also, as a side note - the epub version of the book I read had multiple spelling and formatting errors and a few word omissions. Clearly not well proofed.

Overall, I liked the story enough so that I have already purchased the next book - and I am looking forward to reading it. But defining Rothfuss 'the next Tolkien', as many have, is preposterous. He is a good writer, the story is intriguing, the world interesting - and somehow original. Yet, this book does not have the epic grandeur of The Lord of the Rings. The more appropriate comparison I have heard is defining this book as "Harry Potter for adults".
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote