View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
nope.
and never did the older OP ones either. I think I'm probably on about the same technical level as those asking the q's above (and that's why I'm suggesting nchtrnman---extremely easy)

have you flashed back from any of the January OP's? getting the loop?

I am very anxious to try them, but gonna wait until they get all that stuff figured out.
There is a lot of discussion churn on slatedroid recently that was caused by Pandigital's unofficial "release" of 3 OP firmware versions, and flood of new owners ($60 Kohl's clearance). Newbie questions injected into the technical discussion threads created a lot of "noise" resulting in confusion. This was aggravated by obsolete knowledge by the "experts"... knowledge that did not take into account the changes introduced by the latest flurry of OP firmware versions.

I have flashed my WPDN from the original firmware, to 11/19, to 1/3, to 1/11. I tried nchtrnman's firmware (I found it to be disorganized and likely confusing for less tech-savvy owners). I tried all of the custom firmware versions. I must have flashed and reflashed my WPDN nearly 2 dozen times in the course of 3-4 days.

Bouncing around between the OP firmware versions and non-OP versions does indeed introduce the danger of flash-looping. I did experience that when going from 1/3 OP to 11/19 (stock PDN). The cause for that looping was rooted in the advice that someone gave that it was not necessary to temporarily remove the internal microSD card. They claimed that simply pushing a file to the device they could avoid having to remove the card. That might have been correct with the original OP firmware released by Pandigital, but it is certainly not correct with the 1/3/11, 1/11/11, and 1/14/11 firmware versions.

BOTTOM LINE: The microSD card must be removed when installing ANY OP firmware. (I don't know why people are "scared" to remove the card... the PDN is designed to have the rear cover removed, just like a cell phone.)

Once I reset my microSD card and flashed the device back to 11/19. I was able to cleanly install 1/11 OP (while the microSD card was removed), reboot it, shutdown and insert the microSD card, and boot up and continue to configure it.

The configuration (along with respective links to slatedroid threads) that I posted in this thread results in a fully functional Android tablet. It is functionally equivalent to my Android smartphone except that the PDN can't make phone calls.

This configuration is clean, fast (for the hardware), and complete. It has a properly operating sleep function and reliable WiFi. It contains all of the original PDN apps. (including an updated B&N store/shelf/reader)

I will be sticking with this until a time when Pandigital officially releases a firmware that is equivalent to what I currently have.

If someone simply wants to turn their WPDN into an Android tablet, then I would recommend doing what I posted.... AFTER learning the procedures for flashing firmware, removing the microSD card, and generally getting familiar with the device.

BUT.....
...if someone wants to tinker with the WPDN, experiment, learn, and try different things, then I would discourage them from using this configuration (or ANY OP-based firmware). Although I have been able to go back and forth between OP and non-OP firmwares, I know that variations in individual devices could be unpredictable.

All that to say, the configuration that I'm using should be undertaken as a "final destination" not as just another option to test out.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote