View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 09:13 AM   #64
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
A question from a person who knows very little about such things (i.e., me):

Some books contain big chunks of text in italics that are not meant to be stressed. For instance, a novel might commence with a kind of prelude, all italicized, that could go on for several pages. Or a character's thoughts might be italicized, sometimes for a paragraph or more at a time. (I'm not advocating that anybody go wild with italics this way. I find such things a chore to read, and a temptation to skip.) Occasionally, in such expanses of italicized text, a word will emerge that is not in italics, to indicate that it should be stressed. How should this be coded so that a machine reader will emphasize it without changing the appearance of the text? If you enclose the word to be stressed in <em> tags, it will be italicized and appear indistinguishable from the text that surrounds it. If you enclose it in <strong> tags, it will be displayed in bold, instead of in a normal typeface (and I don't know if a machine reader would emphasize it, anyway). Can it be done?

Here a brief example, where the italics indicate a character's thoughts, and the word "not" should be stressed:
Quote:
Aha, so the cow did not jump over the moon!
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote