View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Audiobooks I've heard lately where the reader really nailed the book:

1. Tim Curry in A Series of Unfortunate Events
Curry also did a very good job in the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix.

Some of my other favorite readers
-Simon Vance - he's done a ton of books.
-Oliver Wyman - (I'm not sure why Weber's Freehold series switched from him after the first two books, but I like him better than Jason Culp)
-Stefan Rudnicki

Of course, even the best of readers can't help a boring book. I generally look for books that I'm interested in and listen to the sample. If I'm in doubt, I look to see how many other books the reader has to their credit. Most of the good ones have credits into the hundreds.

There are a couple of authors who I think do a good job reading their own books - Simon Winchester, for example, but most do better with professional voice talent.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote