View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Yeoman View Post
Thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate it. Your response time is awesome! Yet... it seems very sad that technology goes five steps forward and ten steps back, when a highly engineered product like Kindle has to resort to external utilities, and impose extra work on its customers, to read a basic format like RTF.
Eh. They offer a conversion service and Calibre does it for you as I previously mentioned. The Kindle can't support every text document format out there. Your Sony doesn't support .HTML, .DOC and .DOCX either and I'd say the number of those files flying around is pretty high.

If you want something which can directly read ePub, Mobipocket, RTF, ODF, DOC, DOCX, TXT, the various versions of HTML, XML, TeX and Postscript with more to be added to the list then purchase a laptop with a mainstream OS like Windows or OSX as you're not looking for an eReader of any brand.

You're already plugging the Kindle into a computer anyway to transfer your documents on. If you're doing wireless delivery then you can get Amazon to do it for you. Getting Calibre to do the conversion and transferring isn't difficult. Think of Calibre as the doing what Sony Reader Library does.

Last edited by Tiersten; 01-20-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote