View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
All of this discussion is priceless - thanks so very much to everyone who has shared their experiences so far.

I'm a noob to ereaders but a geek in general. I've built my own pcs and use Rockbox on my Ipod. I've read about OpenInkpot, which sounds like it could be really cool - at some point. (There's also the fact that my wife would probably kill me if changed the OS on her - she's highly resistant to technological change. She gets really bugged out when I replace the desktop/shell on my laptop. It's not hers so she can't complain but it irritates her to no end. Of course, sometimes this can be fun )

I'm also aware and open to stripping DRM as needed. I think it's bs and have nothing against stripping it and using the file as I like so long as it doesn't jeopardize the function of the ereader itself (I'm not down with $300 paperweights).

@Ned: I dig the idea of multiple fonts. It's definitely a point the Cybook has in its favor. I'm web designer so I have fonts up the wazoo.

@Pilotbob: I had a feeling that Amazon would keep a record of of what you've bought from them and let you download again. They do have to plan for device failures or irreparable damage. The Kindle is looking a bit better, but it would be dependent on someone bringing one to us from the US. (Our Amazon account will be the same and use existing, US-based credit cards.)

@JoeD: FB2 seems only supported by Hanlin & iRex. So you're saying it's the best format for the Hanlin, and that conversion is easy? I don't have a problem with conversion but I have a feeling my wife will much prefer to avoid it. With that in mind MOBI sounds like the way to go. PDF I'm wondering about since it's just widely available, but it doesn't seem like the thing for a small screen.

@RSE: I haven't thought about RTF/HTML all that much. I can use my laptop for those. The Hanlin/Bebook/EZBook & Kindle are leading at this point.

And I'm waiting to see what's revealed at CES. If I decide to wait for a Kindle then I can wait for a next gen product too. I'm trying to convince my wife that a slightly larger screen would be a huge bonus, but she's not biting.
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote