View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why did you choose GPL2?

I choose GPL3 for MobiPerl because I think that the "TIVO clauses" are important. But I had not thought about possible incompatibilities between GPL2...
Actually, the 'TIVO Clause' is one of my problems with it, along with the 'Hans Reiser Clause' and pretty much the entirety of Section 7.

My needs on a Free Software license are pretty simple: if someone else's project uses code from my project, I want to be able to use code from their project -- and just the code I choose, not additional code, legal stipulations, project name changes, or other restrictions. In addition, if someone is willing to send me all improvements (or even 'features' I don't like, as long as I get to choose) they make to my project (that I can then use anywhere on any hardware), I want them to be able to use my code on any hardware of their choosing -- including special-purpose hardware not modifiable by anyone but them.

GPL 3 breaks both requirements, and worse, breaks them in a completely unpredictable manner, because there is no way to tell in advance when a project might suddenly add a Section 7 clause with no obvious change to what license they are using. This is a damn shame, because I do like the patent handling improvements (though I know others that find those controversial as well).
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote