View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Me too. These particular books are in the infamous "Topaz" format and are full of eggregious errors. I'll take some screen captures to show you what I mean. I plan to send some feedback to Amazon's Kindle support to indicate that these books have such poor production quality. Since I did enjoy the stories, I'm not going to clamor for my money back, but I would appreciate getting an updated & improved copy.
Sounds like an automated conversion from poor source. I'd like to know what they started with.

For the most part, I've been pleased with ebooks I've seen from commercial sources. I did see one amusing bit, in a book from the Baen Free Library, that had things like author's notes to himself still in the text. A query revealed that this ebook had been generated from an Advance Reading Copy (uncorrected galley proofs) in order to get it out in time for inclusion on a CD to be bound into the hardcover.

I wasn't unhappy at all. The oddities didn't really affect the readability of the ebook, and the glimpses into the writing process were fun. But it stuck out by example: normally, Baen's ebook production is first rate.

It's a reason why I'm hoping ePub succeeds as a standard format. Not for the end user, necessarily, but for the publisher. ePub contains all of the elements needed for an ebook, and should be a good base from which to convert to whatever format the end user will actually read. And it should be possible to automate that conversion, so that once a good quality ePub version exists, the rest can happen automatically.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote