View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #69
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I don't understand why you think anyone would have to pay more to "pull something off of the shelf"? (I assume that means you want to unpublish it, right?)

I never said that I wanted anything for free, or that I wanted to steal anything from an author. PLEASE stop putting words in my mouth.

The difference is that if your book is a marvelous bestseller (think Mark Twain's books or Jane Austen) your descendents could still have exclusive rights to produce/sell the book for as long as they want...all they have to do is pay $20 per year. If the book isn't making any more money, then nobody has to pay any money for it, they just stop selling it and paying the $20 per year and let the rights revert. If you create something, and decide that you don't want anyone to have access to it, then you can either *never publish it* or pay $20 per year so that nobody has the right to publish it ever. (or both, if you're really paranoid)

By the way...you do know that even after a book is in the public domain, it can still be sold, right? There are quite a few publishers making good money selling public domain books.

Shari
Rights revert to who? Note: I said others profiting that means selling.
Ok. We may be having a word problem. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Here is how I read your post:
If the author/author's family doesn't want to make their out of print book as an ebook, they should either pay a fee or let others publish it and make a profit of the author's hard work because the work is more important than the one that did the original work's wishes.

Tell me this: why should you or anyone else be entitled to make money off my work while I am still alive?
What if your boss suddenly decided that you do the work but he will pay me? Would you do it?
That is how I read your post. Others should profit from the author but the author if they don't want it in print should get nothing.

Profit means make money.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote